Feline Focus

Feline Focus
My latest puma, July 2016

Carra

Carra
Beloved companion to Sarah, Nov 2015

Window To The Soul

Window To The Soul
Watercolour Horse, June 2015

Sleeping Beauties

Sleeping Beauties
Watercolour Lionesses, Nov 2012

QUOTES QUOTA

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."

Groucho Marx




Snow Stalker

Snow Stalker
Another snow leopard - my latest watercolour offering - July 2013

07 August 2016

LITERARY INSPIRATION #2

BOOK - THE SECRET GARDEN by Frances Hodgson Burnett

“One of the new things people began to find out in the last century was that thoughts - just mere thoughts - are as powerful as electric batteries - as good for one as sunlight is, or as bad for one as poison.”

My very old, well-loved, and frequently-read copy of The Secret Garden

This is another children’s book which I missed out on reading in my childhood, but was fortunately introduced to in my thirties (by the same person who led me to Pooh, and many other classic children’s books, re-igniting a love of children’s literature which I believed I had outgrown); and which transcends the children’s/adult literature divide.  I love this book, and felt a deep connection with Mary Lennox, and her contrary personality - despite the fact that she is not autistic.

One of the things I find most remarkable about this quote is the fact that it comes from a book that was published in 1911.  Yes, that’s the beginning of the last century (the twentieth) - which means that the century to which she is referring in the quote is the nineteenth.  People had figured out back then in the eighteen hundreds that our thinking has a powerful impact on our health.

I think I was gob-smacked when I first read it; to think that there were those in the Victorian age who were becoming enlightened about things that people now talk about as if they’ve only just been discovered - ‘reinventing the wheel’ is, I believe, the applicable phrase.

And, despite the fact that the evidence for these things being true has been around for over a  century, there are still those today who don’t believe it.

I don’t know why this should be a surprise to me, because I am purportedly a yogi, and yogis have been propounding the same beliefs for a lot longer (we’re talking over two THOUSAND years, not just over a hundred); but maybe it’s to do with the fact that India and the East has a long-standing association with the spiritual and metaphysical, whereas I think of the West as deeply entrenched in religion (which is different in my mind to spirituality), and the material/physical world.  

We had not long since gone through the Industrial Revolution, which gave no consideration to a person’s mental, emotional, or physical wellbeing, only to how much work could be forced out of them.  People, it seems, essentially became an extension of the machinery they operated.   

All of which just goes to prove what slow progress we human beings make, despite our much-vaunted intellectual evolution; and that there really isn’t anything new - people are essentially the same now as we were back then: we’re just recycling the same ideas, but from a different perspective.  Plus, we simply obfuscate the truth with different language.  Jargon, anyone?

And as to whether the theory is true or not, I have only to investigate my own life, and how depleting is the impact of harbouring negative thoughts.  As the saying goes, “Like attracts like”. 

Peacock butterflies in my own sort-of-secret garden
A Red Admiral butterfly
My own small, semi-secluded garden

Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard
An experiment in watercolour and gouache

Quotes Quota

"Do you believe in Magic?" asked Colin.

"That I do, lad," she answered. "I never knowed it by that name, but what does th' name matter? I warrant they call it a different name i' France an' a different one i' Germany. Th' same thing as set th' seeds swellin' an' th' sun shinin' made thee well lad an' it's th' Good Thing. It isn't like us poor fools as think it matters if us is called out of our names. Th' Big Good Thing doesn't stop to worrit, bless thee. It goes on makin' worlds by th' million - worlds like us. Never thee stop believin' in th' Big Good Thing an' knowin' th' world's full of it - an call it what tha' likes. Eh! lad, lad - what's names to th' Joy Maker."

From 'The Secret Garden', by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Love

Love
Copied from photograph of the same name by Roberto Dutesco

Quotes Quota

"There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way."
The Dalai Lama

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."

Malcolm X

On The Prowl

On The Prowl
Watercolour tiger

Quotes Quota

"What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step."

"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind."

C S Lewis